Welcome to the first edition of Park’s Friday Five! Each week you’ll find a weekend size taste of Chicago and Park happenings. So don’t be out of the loop…check back each week for full scoop!
- 2/42 @ the Symphony
- The 2|42 group is heading to Millennium Park Friday to hear Beethoven’s 9th Symphony. What better way to kick back after a long laborious week than on the lush lawn of the Pritzker Pavilion? You’ll be sure to leave with a smile following Beethoven’s famous “Ode to Joy”! Look for the 2|42 flag or contact Alyssa Bray 312.343.3674 or Russ Lewandowski 810.820.0909 to meet up with the group. Blankets/chairs and food/beverage are a must! Cost is FREE! Aug. 14, 6:30-7:45p.m., 201. E. Randolph St. http://www.grantparkmusicfestival.com/.
- Air & Water Show
- Nothing brings the city to life more than the annual Air & Water Show. For 51 years this show has drawn millions to Chicago’s magnificent lakefront and has become the largest spectator event in the U.S. Headliners this year are the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds, U.S. Army Parachute Team Golden Knights and U.S. Navy Parachute Team Leap Frogs. Snag a spot along North Ave and Oak Street Beaches for prime views. Or you can try and finagle your way onto a lakefront rooftop and feel the air brush your cheeks as they whiz by! Aug. 15-16, 10a.m. – 4p.m., Free Admission, 1600 N. Lake Shore Drive
- Green Music Fest
- Love Music? Love our planet? Head to the Green Music Fest this weekend. Relish in all things
- green – think eco-friendly vendors, eco-conscious bands, free bike valet parking, recycling stations, a book swap, yoga and more! It’s Mother Nature Palooza! Aug. 15-16, noon-10 p.m. Tickets $11.50-$25, kids under 12 are free. 1330 W. Chicago Ave., www.greenmusicfestchicago.com.
- Bicycle Film Festival
- The Bicycle Film Festival at Columbia College stars the two-wheeler in a variety of movies. Check out “WHERE ARE YOU GO,” a film about the Tour d’Afrique, one of the world’s longest cycling races. Action-packed with 7,000 miles of pure adventure. Aug. 14, 7 p.m. Tickets are $10. 1104 S. Wabash Ave., 8th Floor, Watch the trailer. Fulfill all your cycling thrills with a movie marathon. Shows going on all weekend! Aug. 14, 5-10p.m., Aug. 15-16, 12-10p.m. Columbia College – 1104 S. Wabash, 8th Floor, Tickets $10, www.bicyclefilmfestival.com.
- Play Ball!
- Get outside and enjoy one of America’s favorite past times this weekend. Root on the Cubbies vs. Pirates, Friday 1:20p.m., Saturday 12:05p.m., or Sunday 1:20p.m. The odds are good as the Pirates are on an 8 game losing streak! 1060 W Addison St., http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com.